Saturday, January 10, 2009

Calling all runners....

It was a balmy 37 degrees when I woke up this morning and I decided to head out for my first outside, in-the-cold, non-treadmill run since having the baby. In contrast to my last outside run waaaay back in March, an easy 8-miler in the morning before catering an evening event, today was a sad, slow barely-made-it 4 miler followed by flopping on the couch until my poor baby was hungry enough to force me to get up. Six weeks ago, the owner of my gym promised me I would have "no problem" getting back into shape after doing absolutely nothing for the nine months I was baking sweet Jemma. She was wrong. But it's possible that I might make it eventually...with a little help. Which is why I am starting a little running group and you're invited. I'll give you the basic plan here in case I have any readers who may want to join and then I'm actually going to call and harass those of you who I know run (or have at some point in the distant past...Rachel, Signe, Annie, Shawna...I know you're out there!). Our main goal this Spring will be to run Bloomsday (an immensely fun, HUGE, rowdy street race of 7.2 miles) the first weekend in May, the secondary goal will be to run the CDA 1/2 marathon on Memorial Day weekend. I will be posting all the details and much more on another blog that is invite only but the more the merrier so let me know here or by email if you're interested. Quick note, the only group runs will be the Saturday morning long runs so there is very little time committment involved (although you will have to do some amount of running--at the gym, outside, or in your basement--during the week and I will post my workouts in advance so you can follow those or do your own. And I steal mine from Runner's World so they should technically work--I'm not actually the one making them up!) and those runs will be mostly out-and-back runs so you can head home at any point if you want to run less or you have to feed the baby or go to the grocery store! More importantly, you do not have to live here--you can keep up with us on the blog and if you make it for Bloomsday or CDA that would be great but you can train for something local also. Let me know if you are even slightly intrigued and I'll send you the blog invite. I don't care if you haven't run in years, I promise there will be reasonable work-outs, good information, and a chance to hang out--even if we're too out of breath to actually talk!
Here's Ava stretching out with me after one of my last runs early last Spring--I must have known it was coming to an end when I made Ed take this shot!

12 comments:

Rachel said...

Lets get to work! I also am running the NIKE womans half in SF in Oct...I have lots of details on that race if your interested! It is through an organization called Team in Training...We will be running and raising money for the Lukiema(sp)Lymphoma Society..Call me if you want more info!
There may be a couple gals here that would want to do the Bloomsday and CD1/2 too...

Signe said...

I know I should, but I know I'm a weenie. I don't have the motivation that I used to. Invite me and I will work on getting my growing body moving.

I want to wear the new AHOPE t-shirts for Bloomsday, they have all the information on the back. I spent most of last Bloomsday reading old men's t-shirts, so this year I'm going to do a little advertising. I just hope there is someone behind me to read it!

Josh and Shawna said...

Count me in although I have never been a big long distance runner, meaning that anything over 2-3 miles is killer for me. Can't wait to hit the pavement! Let me know all the details

Paula said...

Ahh. . .I want to do it. . .Ugh, . . but I really don't want to! Make me want it!!!

Rachel said...

Paula...
Can you say tone butt and thighs! That should make you want it:)!!! Or Joe anyway!!! :)

Signe said...

I talked to Michele Dickison and she is really excited. She wants to do the full marathon, so I told her we would cheer her on.

Call her, she is totally inspiring. I'm with you Paula!

Paula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kelly said...

Yay girls! It's here in print so now you're stuck. I'll email soon with more info :)

Thankfulmom said...

Kelly,

Signe just told me about the running club today and I would love to run with all of you. I can be the "oldest runner"! I definitely don't have time for it, but I need to make time.

I second what Signe said about Michele, she is completely amazing and a very experienced runner.

Lisa Q

The Meredith Family said...

This is all so inspiring!! I shall not be running 8 miles... Or 4 for that matter. But I will walk at least 1 extra mile on the tredmill tomorrow!!

Michele D said...

Kelly,
What a great idea to put a running group together! I would love to be part of it. I'll look forward to hearing more and to running with the group.
Michele Dickison

Sarah said...

I'll definitely be cheering you on from my cushy hospital bed with a sweet little newborn in my arms :) How 'bout NEXT Bloomsday!!?? I'll definitely be there. I miss running :(