Thursday, November 18, 2010

(I'm already falling behind)

So the other day we were thankful to wake up and find that our house had not been smooshed by a giant tree! Which seems like an odd worry but let me tell you that we had a huge storm the night before...Ed was (of course) out of town (which I believe happened the last time we had a monster storm) and at about 1:00 am the power went out, everyone woke up and started crying, the house was pitch dark, the flashlight had one teeny little beam left (just enough to see the dog's eyeballs and freak me out even more), and my cell had a teeny bar left, which was just enough to call Ed and wake him from a nice cozy hotel sleep and have him (helpfully) suggest I don't panic and just plug in the phone. Which would have been helpful advice if we had electricty, in which case I would not have been calling in a panic! I finally remembered to light a candle (duh) and I sat on the couch while the house was shaking, the windows rattling, the fireplace howling, and the hail so loud I couldn't even hear the kids. Eventually we all fell asleep until everything suddenly turned back on and woke us up again!
So the next morning found us tired and grumpy and the best solution was to load 'em all up in their pjs, pick up a chai and breakfast cookies (breakfast cookies...such a good idea), and drive around town seeing who had it worse off then us:


look closely at this one, that tree is laying nicely right on top of that house.
Nothing like a little reality check to cheer us up.


1 comment:

Carissalayla said...

oh scary...I too am freaked out by the trees, we have a ton that are right outside every bedroom and when it storms here we hear braches and pinecones hit the house! Somehow, everyone manages to sleep through it except me.