Monday, May 9, 2011

How cool is this?!

Ava's first major class project: a diorama of the early settlers. The only requirements were that it had to fit on this 12" square board and go with an essay she had written. I wanted to do paper mache but Ava poo-pooed that idea because she really wanted to have a girl washing clothes with a washboard in the river. And I have to say it turned out WAY better than I expected! My major contribution was shaping the girl out of modeling clay (and I don't feel too bad about that since some kids are using legos or playmobile people and I know they didn't hand-make those themselves, right?). Ava sat down yesterday and sketched it out and made a list and we headed to Micheals for the modeling clay--the rest of the stuff I surprisingly had on hand. My sister and I use to make covered wagons to play "Little House on the Prairie" out of butter boxes and a tp roll so I showed Ava how to do that. She loved all the painting and I have to say I am now a big fan of modeling clay--it was fun!
The basket of apples and baby in the basket were all part of Ava's vision and she even made the little washboard out of foil. See her cute braided hair and the red tissue paper for the fire in the fire pit? And she was very specific that the girl had to be kneeling to wash the clothes and she wanted her in a green dress with a pink collar.

I LOVED this project...so much fun with my creative monkey! I feel like modeling clay may be my new favorite toy and a lifesaver later this summer.



4 comments:

Paula said...

Wow! I totally didn't remember the wagon idea until you just said it! How cool!

Carissalayla said...

Carter is going to LOVE this picture, especially since we are knee deep in Little House on the Prairie books!

kelly said...

Oh Carissa--make that wagon! Just cut the top off one long side of a butter box, fold down the little piece for the foot rest, and cut the top piece (that you cut off) into strips to make the arch things for the cover to go on, then cut a tp roll for the wheels. We never even use to paint the box and we just used a napkin for the cover--I still remember loving it!

kelly said...

Okay, that's sounds complicated but I think the picture explains it better :)