Thursday, January 19, 2012

Happy (Birthday!) Jack

Today is my Jack's birthday. And he had the flu. Which would have really bummed me out but he handled it in true glass-is-half-full Jack fashion. He started the morning by saying, "I threw up a bunch in the night but now I feel awesome." He spent the morning with Harry Potter and then Paula brought him chicken nuggets for lunch which he chowed before I had time to tell him to eat sloooww. He took a long nap and woke up ready to party with his favorite buddy Will. We canceled dinner out and I took him and Will to pick out cereal instead but after wandering the aisles of Safeway with two silly boys and loading up on goldfish, donuts, and Kung Fu Panda 2, the electricity in the store went out! We waited a long time but we finally ditched our cart and drove down the road to find something else. Nada. Everything was dark and closed up tight. We finally found ourselves an open gas station and I let the boys go nuts picking out their gas station faves. We ended up with a smorgasbord of Capn Crunch, doritoes, peanuts, sunflower seeds, and Gatorade.

Candlelight party.


Jack says, "Will, sit here...I saved you room!"

And since the power went out before the cake was baked, he had an awesome Twinkie, Snowball, Hostess cupcake delight!

There are so many things I can say about Jack....he's so full of joy, enthusiasm, and love. But I think his attitude today sums him up the best: after kicking off the day with the flu, missing school and all his buddies, missing lunch and dinner out, spending forever choosing grocery store treats only to be unable to by them because of a freak storm, settling for a gas station dinner and Hostess birthday cake, he still said, "I love you guys...and this is the best birthday ever!"

1 comment:

Jan said...

I want to be like Jack! What a birthday to remember....