Wednesday, December 15, 2010

and on it goes.

When we woke up Friday morning I laid in bed and did a 30 second check of the family. I felt fine, Ed was fine, we hadn't heard anyone throw up in the night, and Henry's breathing was loud and clear on the monitor. Yay. Relief. We spent the day running like crazy to get ready for our annual Christmas party--shopping, baking, decorating, cleaning (or seriously de-germing the house). My mom offered to take the kids for the evening so Ed ran them out to her house and I was so excited to have two whole hours to myself before people came. I seriously couldn't decide if I should lay on the couch and stare at the ceiling or run to the mall to find something to wear. Then Ed called with the news that he hit a deer on the way home. Ed, who drives 50,000 miles a year happened to hit a deer, in my dad's car, 5 miles from home.
(I'm not sure if you can hear the cha-ching sound where you are but let me help you out...ER visit for currently uninsured baby (cha-ching), overnight hospital stay (double cha-ching), car repairs (what's a a little more cha-ching).
Grrr.
Finally the weekend arrived. My house was clean and shiny, there were yummy leftovers to eat, all was well. Till this sweet pea started the puking again:
So sad. And so gross.
While Henry had croup and the kids had the flu, Jemma had rotovirus. The nastiest virus I can think of--it is a good week or two of puke, fever, rash, and just when you think it's gone, it comes back with a vengenance. My kids all get it around age two--Ava's wasn't too bad, Jack's lasted 10 days, Jemma is currently on day 12. She has had several 48-hour periods of perfectly good health, we think all is well and do the scrub down and then she pukes again and we're right back where we started. I think poor Ed is going to go totally nuts if he has to put the stupid bedskirt on her crib one more time!
We are currently at 36 hours and counting, her room is scrubbed, the window is open and the sun and feezing air are flooding in, if we can make it one more night we might be in the clear!
And for the record, Henry recently got the rotovirus vaccine...the best parenting decision we have ever made. In two years, I will be giving myself a giant pat on the back.

3 comments:

Signe said...

Cha-Ching, why is it always in Dec? I have to say that makes my little fuel pump issue look like no biggie.

So, sorry. I remember those days so well, and really they are funny to look back on. I always am amazed that I am sane, or at least that I think I am sane. Anyway, it does get better in some ways, and then worse in others. As my Dad always said "little kids little problems, big kids big problems." Unfortunately he was right. But big kids do puke in the bathroom and don't need much help from Mom.

Hannah G said...

You poor, poor people! I hope this means that you're all going to be healthy for Christmas day!

Lauren said...

I am simultaneously so sorry for and so glad it wasn't me! Since I actually typed that, I'll bet I'm asking for it!