Saturday, January 26, 2008

Adventures in Potty Training

Jack's first morning on the potty with his new birthday truck (thanks Madison & Brooklyn!) as his little side table for his sippy cup.
So Monday was the big day for Jack. We threw away his diapers in a show of big boy-ness (although I dug them out of the garbage later just in case the project failed!) and unpacked his new baseball undies in his dresser and started potty training. The first two days were great-- only a couple accidents and he seemed to actually get it all on his own. Day three brought a bit of a setback when he pooped on the floor in the playroom (but because he has such good manners he carefully layed a piece of toilet paper over it before he continued playing). Gross. Day four he held it all day only going after I left for the gym that evening when his daddy was home and by day five he figured out how to squeeze out just a drop in order to get a piece of candy and did that at least five times in a row! Today has so far been great and I think we have made it to the other side, although I am knocking on wood as I type!
The worst part of the week came on Friday. After spending the whole week house-bound with the potty-trainer, I packed the kids up and headed for the mall. After I had shopped for over an hour, we were waiting in line to check out at Old Navy and Jack leaned over his stroller and preceded to throw up everything he had eaten while I shopped (Cheerioes, dried cranberries, Starbucks cookie and 2 cups of water). Worse, my sweet helper Ava caught part of it in her hand. Sadly, after a week of potty training, it didn't really gross me out. In fact, I was slightly annoyed that we had to go home. That is what potty training has done to this usually loving mommy! In the end, Jack didn't have the flu, just a case of severe overeating and life goes on.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

You poor dear, now you AND Katie have had throw up incidents in Old Navy!!! We need to start potty training Eliot, but we have a long car trip to Oregon in two weeks, so I think I'll wait.